Sue, our head librarian, completed the 23 Things the first time and shared many items with me. She is encouraging us to do this and is willing to help in any way that she can. Time is always a challenge for me. Stephen Abram's comment on finding time is interesting but is definitely a concern for me. As a library assistant, the majority of my time is spent servicing patrons. Uninterrupted time is not always an option. (Hopefully, on my 2nd time around, I will be able to schedule this into my work day.)
Spending an entire day sitting at the computer is frustrating for me and I question devoting a great deal of time on things that I do not see as usable in my position. There are always so many things that need to be done physically in the library that I feel guilty when I do not give those projects my attention.
I appreciated Sarah Houton's definition of having the library relevant to the times and a making it a destination not an afterthought. Most of our patrons do think of it as a destination, I believe. But we do need to work at getting younger people to think the same way. We (meaning staff & patrons) need to be open to some of the changes that are necessary when providing new concepts and new services.
When viewing the video; there is always a delay rather than a continuous conversation. Is there something I can do to alleviate this problem? Also, while working on this at home, I was unable to continue with the ELM database search after I entered my barcode.
Two things to check on: does our library have a mission statement? And, "Ancestor's in Your Attic" Program.
Friday, May 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Judi, I think the delay has something to do with the internet connection. We should check that video at the library. Also we should check the ELM database situation. I know at home when I do journal or subject alert via my email I cannot access. ESBCO requires a password and nothing I put in works. This is a situation we should check with Minitex. Sue
Post a Comment